Re: a question for you

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Michael Lashawn Cloud (mcloud1)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:40:17 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Sandra Hildreth wrote:

> > My question: How do art teachers make time and justify being working
> > artists while they teach?
> We've talked about this before, but it's a good topic. Many of us who
> participate on this listserv will tell you that making art comes second,
> and that our primary committment is to being a teacher. There will also
> be some who work very hard at being artists, and I don't want to make
> anyone mad, but if that's their primary concern, then I feel the
> children in their classrooms are perhaps being shortchanged.

Im an art ed student at University of IL. at Chicago and I have to
disagree with this. I plan to be an active artist as well a educator (Im
also trying to get certified to teach biology), and if one has to come
"first" it would be artist. But I dont see why one has to come first.
one of my biggest heros is Teddy Roosevelt who was a destiguished
historian, bird watcher, naturalist, huter, wrestler, husband and father
as well
as president. I dont think that being a (one day) father, artist,
naturalist, teacher, and all around intelectual type is so outlandish.
I dont think anyone would say that a literature teacher who wanted to
be a profesional writer is nessesarily short changing her students just
because education is not the alpha and omega of her life.

Thanks for listening, and sorry about the spelling.