Re: a question for you

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:50:48 -0500

I find it hard to determine what I am more of an artist or an art teacher.
I am an artist and an art teacher, the two are so interconnected that I can
hardly separate them or put a % on the 50% / 50% or 60% / 40%. But I know
that they support eachother and donīt take away from eachother.
Best regards from the far north, Rosa

>At 08:14 PM 11/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>> My question: How do art teachers make time and justify being working
>>> artists while they teach?
>>We've talked about this before, but it's a good topic. Many of us who
>>participate on this listserv will tell you that making art comes second,
>>and that our primary committment is to being a teacher. There will also
>>be some who work very hard at being artists, and I don't want to make
>>anyone mad, but if that's their primary concern, then I feel the
>>children in their classrooms are perhaps being shortchanged. It's just
>>that it's really difficult to do two things really well. People who are
>>also parents or spouses/partners have that job to work on too. With the
>>education and development of so many childen depending upon your effort
>>and concern and organization and creativity (just to mention a few
>>things) I believe it is imperative to put teaching first. So I'm just a
>>part-time artist.
>>--
>>Sandra Hildreth
>>Home Page: http://www.northnet.org/hildreth
>>Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
>>School Pages: http://www.northnet.org/mwcsart/mwart.htm
>>Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617

  • Reply: Michael Lashawn Cloud: "Re: a question for you"