Re: beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 20:45:59 -0800 (PST)

If beauty is linked with hedonistic pleasure, as the Philosopher's Walk
considers, then perhaps the many students I have who love to go to
violent, scary movies, such as "Scream" and "I know what you did last
summer" consider seeing them to be "beautiful" experiences. (I can't even
open my eyes during such movies, so this is as close as I can come to
pondering the beauty of such films!)

Dave - I, too, do a mosaic project with my students, though I usually wait
until we are studying Byzantine art. One of my favorite moments was when
one girl said, "I never knew who involved and complicated it is to make a
mosaic. I'm much more impressed with them now than I was before!"

--Carla

Carla Schiller, Esq.
Teacher, Highly Gifted Magnet
North Hollywood High School, CA
e-mail: charwitt.us
"We all make the best choices from among those we see, but we don't always
see all the choices available." --Author unknown