Re: Young Drawers(Long)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 17:48:11 -0500

I am so glad you posted this because I didn't have time to reply. I
assumed most of the list was aware of this. It is also true that
even given the language and tools to draw representational, a young
child will experiment and then return to the lolli pops. I believe
(though not sure where I read) Mona Brookes might have covered this
as well. It is also important to realize the young child will have
to go through stages and cannot jump to "Figurative"(i.e.) without
going through each step. As in walking we must crawl first. I have
also found through experience with preschoolers they are quite
adaptable and will gladly try new mediums, yet they will also
(retro) draw what may look like scribbles but actually it does
represent the stories in their head. It's exciting to experience
with young children and learn from them as well(Teacher,
student-Teacher,Student). Fascinating since I just did "The bird"
1st lesson of mona brookes and was questioning whether I should, but
was curious to see how they would execute and what would happen in
their drawings after depending on the cognitive stages they were
going through. I decided after the lesson(which parents and teachers
wouldn't believe they did!) I'll try it again at the end of the year
to see the progression of their development. I want it to be more
experimental in processes and they are young 4's. By the way some
are drawing more line,curves and angles/circles after a month of
introducing the line family(by tearing paper,monoprinting, gluing
shapes, etc.)
Sorry for the long post,
Sandra