Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1045

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 20:07:36 -0500

Hi. Interesting to read your post on Reggio Emilia. This is something that
is certainly not new to me. I lived in the Emilia Region for six years
while studying art in the Accademia di Belle Arti in Bologna. Since then I
have traveled many times to Italy and visited Reggio. We have also had
visitors from there to our School of Visual Art in Akureyri. Yes it is a
wonderful system. The main reason for the fantastic artistic work is I
believe that every day care center has an artistic studio an atilier with
artists and art teachers who work with the children every day. They really
build their program on the child and the childīs everyday experiences, the
childīs environment, the city they live in, the art of that city etc. etc.
They do very much observational drawing, they keep different live animals
in the daycarecenter and the children observe them and draw them. There is
a wonderful video of how they learned to draw doves. But I must correct the
statement that the people actually built the day care centers,
>actually the schools were set up after WWII and were built by hand
>by the community for their children
Like everything in Italy the people trained for the work do it so therefor
builders build the schools. But the italian people believe that children
like everyone else is equail and therefor the children get the same right
to talk and be with adults as the others and that is different from f.ex.
in the USA. An italian child can stand up and talk at whatever occation and
the grown ups will listen. That is quite a difference.
Anyway it is nice to be talking about this. I believe their philosophy is
fantastic and I use it a lot and it works.
best regards from the far north, Rosa