[Fwd: NYSATA E-News - Assessment Update]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Vanessa Mellom (mellom)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 00:06:34 -0400

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:07:31 -0400
To: rnunz
From: NYSATA-On Line <rnunz>
Subject: NYSATA E-News - Assessment Update

NEW YORK STATE ART TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
E-News......E-News......E-News

ASSESSMENT UPDATE

November 02, 1998

* * * *

>From the State Education Department:

"Currently, New York State is engaged in developing a statewide assessment
that is focused upon the one unit high school graduation requirement.
Similar assessments are being developed in dance, music, theater, and
visual arts. Students will select one of the art forms for their
assessment. We anticipate that all students entering grade 9 in 2001 will
be expected to participate in the assessment as a high school graduation
requirement."

"The State Education Department also anticipates that subsequent assessment
work will begin on the high school three unit and five unit sequence, the
intermediate grades, and the elementary grades."

* * * *

"These assessments can not only measure what a student knows and is able to
do, but will also provide feedback to the students, parents and business
community about what is learned." (1)

(1) From: "A Proposal for Statewide Arts Assessment: Raising Student
Achievement of the New York State Learning Standards for the Arts", May 1,
1998.

* * * *

NYSATA's Web site and E-News will attempt to keep you informed as
assessment initiatives progress.

NYSATA On-Line
http://www.li.net/~visual/index.html