Re: National standards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
meropi (meropi)
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 15:30:21 -0500

Sydni
-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon Henneborn <heneborn>
To: ArtsEdNet-Talk <artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, November 01, 1998 12:23 PM
Subject: National standards
=20
Reatha, Thanks for your ideas in this subject!=20
Sydni, There are a few points I would like to address.
=20
(*The very idea of getting the government involved in our classrooms =
is=20
a serious concern.) =20
~~~Where do you teach? I teach in a public school, which is=20
Government!!! National, State, County, and Local! It was my =
experience=20
that the National Standards came about, not from BIG BROTHER =
GOVERNMENT,=20
but from an army of art teachers (as you put it),"extremely =
dedicated,=20
thoughtful, well educated, and very enthusiastic about the subject =
they=20
teach", who tirelessly LOBBIED to have the ARTS included in the=20
standards. We were IGNORED in the original standards. THERE WAS =
MUCH=20
CELEBRATION WHEN WE WERE FINALLY RECOGNIZED AND INCLUDED IN THE=20
STANDARDS. I mention this because I think you may not have been =
aware=20
of this history.
=20
(*"Are you ready to let others determine what works for you and your =

students?")=20
~~~Again, the army of ART teachers are working to develop the=20
assessment tool. My state has called for ART teachers to serve and =
give=20
input. You can be sure that I have and will put in my 2 cents during =
the=20
development and after the pilot. Of course, the ART test will be =
very=20
difficult to develop..There is much debate....we are already a year=20
behind the original timeline.=20
=20
(* By it's very nature teaching art, making art, stands outside of =
the=20
cognitive learning styles used in other subjects.) =20
~~~In the 36 years I have been teaching in public schools, I have=20
seen an enormous change in teaching methods in all subjects. My =
district=20
has dedicated a generous amount of time and money to train ALL the=20
teachers as new information became available. I can assure you that =
the=20
teachers in my district teach all subjects very much as I do.... =20
Discovery! Discovery! Discovery! Approximately 10 years ago we had =
3=20
greuling years of inservice training in the higher level thinking=20
skills, and more recently in the understanding of multiple =
inteligences. =20
(Before that it was Glasser and Madeline Hunter, etc., etc.) Many=20
teachers already taught this way, but now that everyone does (even =
the=20
jocks), it makes my job much easier. There are many approaches to=20
teaching, and Monkey-see Monkey-do is used to teach all=20
subjects,including the ARTS, I'm sad to say. The same thinking =
skills=20
are needed to produce brilliant discoveries in Math and Science, and =
to=20
explore new ground in literature, human relationships, and the ARTS. =
=20
=20
Having the standards gives me a constant for reference to keep me=20
grounded and to measure a balanced curriculum. We all have =
personal=20
preferences. The standards remind us to plan for the broadest =
possible=20
range of content. They keep me from getting lopsided, and force me =
to=20
continue to explore.
=20
Sharon=20
From NJ
=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01BE05AC.89F45EC0

Dear Sharon,

In response to your inquiry, yes, I do teach in a = New York=20 public school.  Have taught for 11 years, have been Teacher of the = Year at=20 my school.  I am very interested in the comments that you have = shared, but=20 my opinion on this subject remains the same.  I simply do not agree = with=20 National Assessment in the arts or any other subject, for that=20 matter.   But beyond our differences of opinion, I find it = very=20 uncomfortable that you have found it necessary to so STRONGLY react to = my=20 opinion.  When you address me personally, and capitalize your = statements,=20 it is taken as though you are YELLING.  You have a wealth of = experience in=20 teaching to offer those of us who a mere fledglings in comparison, but = if you=20 approach a divergent opinion in such an aggressive manner, you lose the = chance=20 that you might have had to impact them with the wisdom that you = hold. =20 Please consider this as a friendly tip on how to get along with = others... =20 I have just recently purchased this computer and was thrilled to locate=20 artsednet - Unfortunately, I will now think twice before I put forth my = opinion=20 on any subject worthy of serious discussion.

          &nbs= p;            = ;=20 Sincerely,

          &nbs= p;            = ;         =20 Sydni
-----Original = Message-----