Re: Linking Linguistics and Art?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:25:45 -0500

Respond to this message.

At 07:35 PM 11/29/97 -0800, you wrote:
I am having difficulty visualizing what the possiblity for perfomance art
or an installation piece could be linking linguistics and art...the first
thought that came to mind was something like the scene from the movie 2001
when the apes were learning to use tools.

What ideas did you have? Could you elaborate.

Part of the study of linguistics is the history of writing. The idea of
combining technology with the basics of art making and marking, ergo
symbols? Use of symbols as writing. Inventing new symbols for new language?

Technology as the next step in mark making in human evolution on a global
scale? What are the implications?

Numo Jaeger
Stduio One
<http://www.hooked.net/~jaegmil/>

>It's been over 10 years since I had a course in linquistics, but I seem
>to remember that it was a combination of remembering what physical
>capabilities your tongue and throat could do and what sounds those
>movements produced, coupled with markings on paper, and that after
>awhile I was interpreting swahili, but not speaking it, but noticing
>patterns in the markings...correct? If that simplifies linquistics at
>all, then how about combining sounds and markings in patterns of some
>sort...a real possibility for performance art, or installation art,
>combining technology with the basics of art, markings, either on paper,
>walls, stone, ceramics....perhaps a juxtaposition of old to new.

Respond to this message.