a response to Teresa Tipton/ Homelessness : Making art, reclaiming lives

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kmt127
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:29:37 -0600

Respond to this message.

homelessness, Teresa Tipton argued that my "questions about the larger
context are in themselves problematical because they are an abstraction and
as such, a dismissal of the
intention and aims of Andrea's project itself."
It is crucial for all of us to see pedagogy not simply as an empirical
referent but as a discursive surface, able to be deconstructed and
problematized without disregarding the totality of the project. Often, any
significant theoretical critique of a well intentioned lesson is met with a
non-negotiable, essentializing binary critique, which disregards any form
of antagonism and negates difference and conflict by relegating them to the
guise of "dismissive" abstraction. Theoretical critiques are always a form
of practice, a larger abstraction upon which we can devise a conceptual
schema that illuminates intent, context, audience, power structures,
recognition and transformative possibilities. Educators must set out
clear programmatic goals to help students think about their work within a
larger societal context to imagine who their audience might be, how their
students' work will or will not be effective, and question the larger
discourse they engage in (namely "art").

Teresa also found my critique of the Andrea's description of the
homeless-'' broken lives ..who live in poverty and without homes litter our
cultural landscape') to be a form of cognitive dissonance.
Injustice is rooted in social patterns of representation, interpretation
and communication. It is through interpretation and propagation that the
"selection of vocabulary" can be injurious because it can impair those whom
are being labeled in their positive understanding of self, an understanding
acquired by intersubjective means. Students often latch on to the
instructor's signifiers and unconsciously perpetuate misrecognition, or a
distorted mode of being. This problem simply needs to be taken into
consideration, not interpreted as a means to eradicate all transformative
possibilities of the project.

So what should we do?

I agree that the work of Paul Strand and Dorothea Lange should be
considered. Students should discuss critics who accuse Lange of
constructing " candid poses," and capturing photographs of individuals who
did not consent to their image being publicly used.

Teresa asks the following questions;
"In Seattle, there is a facility for homeless people to come and
create art.... This center was supported because of the
powerful work about and by street people. Should it not exist
because people are going hungry?
Should Barbara Krueger (sic) stop making
billboard art because her images have social commentary?"

These questions, and others (aesthetic, commodification, agency.. ), should
be raised and addressed by the students. Students often lack the ability to
step outside of their own work , to comment on the futility of some art to
be transformative, while nonetheless waging a strong battle against what
disturbs them. Even when they do study theory and develop strong
philosophical principles, students are rarely taught how their own strategy
plays a role.

Andrea's description of the studio project was vague. It was because of
this that I suggested the dangers of objectification and representation.
How would pin-hole cameras ("empty coffee cans and Quaker oat containers")
be used, for whom, and what would be the target of these photos? Can we
imagine a high school student with an empty quaker oats box descending on a
homeless shelter to shoot photos of "the homeless?" Will her students
engage in feeding, transporting, sheltering, and comforting the homeless?
Or will they take a bus ride to the Urban area and spend a few hours
shooting photos? Their vision may help to develop a less individualistic,
less narcissistic sense of ourselves, but this must occur with a pragmatic
engagement, mobilization and transformation of economical and political
conditions.

Finally, in no way is problematizing features of this proposed lesson an
exercise in
denigration nor should it be seen as a disparaging comment on the
thoughtful issues involved. I feel this form of healthy critique expands
the possibilities, never diminishes or discounts them.

-Kevin

Kevin Michael Tavin Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Art Education
The Pennsylvania State University