Re: Linking Linguistics and Art?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 19:35:30 -0800

Respond to this message.

Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller wrote:

> Hello Fellow Artsednet Folks,
>
> I am looking for an interesting topic link between art and the traditional
> study of linguistics. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Numo Jaeger
> Studio One
> <http://www.hooked.net/~jaegmil/>

It's been over 10 years since I had a course in linquistics, but I seem
to remember that it was a combination of remembering what physical
capabilities your tongue and throat could do and what sounds those
movements produced, coupled with markings on paper, and that after
awhile I was interpreting swahili, but not speaking it, but noticing
patterns in the markings...correct? If that simplifies linquistics at
all, then how about combining sounds and markings in patterns of some
sort...a real possibility for performance art, or installation art,
combining technology with the basics of art, markings, either on paper,
walls, stone, ceramics....perhaps a juxtaposition of old to new.

Respond to this message.