Re: : Homelessness : Making art, reclaiming lives

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Mon, 31 Aug 1992 02:47:37 +0300

Respond to this message.

I find Andrea's description of the homeless not only poetic
but's its metaphorical content, also literal. Strong language
is appropriate for a situation which should cause us rage instead of
cognitive dissonance at the selection of vocabulary. Kevin's questions and
his response beg the question of the importance of Andrea's lessons
and their intended impact. She has selected a challenging topic, is
using an interesting approach, and is utilizing the vehicle for art
to create a larger awareness of the issues related to the topic both
in her students and with the public at large through a public display
of the results.

I think of the work of Paul Strand and Dorothea Lange, which created
a social consciousness about the conditions of impoverished people
and mobilized public concern and at the time, funding through the
WPA. I think also of Jacob Lawrence who decided to be an artist as a
child, attending free art classes for low-income children. It was the
experience making art that changed his direction and vocation in
life.

In Seattle, there is a facility for homeless people to come and
create art. Art is a means of self-empowerment both in the creating
and the viewing of image, whether they are created by street people
or about street people. This center was supported because of the
powerful work about and by street people. Should it not exist
because people are going hungry? Should Barbara Krueger stop making
billboard art because her images have social commentary? Kevin's
questions about the larger context are in themselves problematical
because they are an abstraction and as such, a dismissal of the
intention and aims of Andrea's project itself.

The metaphor used during the disarmament movement of
the '70's and '80's was it is the individual snowflakes that
together, break the branch. And as Ghandi said, the person sweeping
the ashram is just as important as the person demonstrating in the
streets. In other words, change happens step by
step, individually, at the local, level. Every attempt no
matter how small to touch lives and change them through art
should be applauded.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton