: Art and the Homeless:Making art, reclaiming lives

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kmt127
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:05:27 -0600

Respond to this message.

Andrea:
you researching the work of Hope Sandrow and the Artist and Homeless
Collaborative (A&HC). This group is an affiliation of artists and arts
professionals and women, children, and teenagers living in New York City
shelters. The A&HC is an ongoing, interactive project that neither
abandons nor alienates the art work from social context. Art is made WITH
rather than FOR shelter residents.

Some other thoughts:
You stated, "The broken lives of individuals and families who live in
poverty and without
homes litter our cultural landscape.." The term litter is problematic in
this context, it can signify a dominant belief that homelessness is dirty,
criminal and a problem that needs to be swept up, or swept away. I know
that was not your intention, however phrases can be easily misinterpreted,
or worse yet, never critically discussed.
Its not clear what your studio project entails but be very careful, Any use
of photography and homeless individuals could easily turn into a
objectification by merely capturing them on film or somehow reifying,
(making concrete) them as an exotic "other" to be gazed at and displayed.
You state that students will "broaden their understanding of their own
values, and the (un)changing aspects
of our cultural environment. This involvement(communication) is the first
step toward change and resolution of one of todays sad realities of human
existence; homelessness" Larger issues need to be problematized, such as;
can art do anything for the homeless (have any appreciable impact on the
lives of people struggling merely to survive), what form of agency (if any)
is created through this work, or a "better understanding of our own
values," should the money involved with the art be used for other means,
can images of homelessness actually create a lack of sensitivity towards
the issues, and if so how, and what is the difference between art and
social work in the context of helping the homeless (is it the aesthetic
component that makes it art)?

-Kevin

hello. andrea here from Ohio State University. I am looking for any feed

Kevin Michael Tavin Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Art Education
The Pennsylvania State University
School of Visual Arts