Re: "arts" education certification

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bonnie Halfpenny (bhalfpen.az.us)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:54:01 -0700 (MST)

Respond to this message.

As a certified "art educator", I know how how work goes into trying to
understand one discipline well enough to then learn how to teach it; now
somebody wants to combine art disciplines? Promoting the "arts" together
is one thing, having one person "teach" all of them is another. On what
level are they supposed to be proficient ?

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Lorena Nalin wrote:

> There has been some talk recently in Arizona of having an "arts" education
> certification category. The rationale is because small and rural districts
> have difficult in getting and keeping an music or art teacher, let alone
> drama or dance teachers.
>
> My gut reations is to reject this idea, but then the question of how to
> promote education in the arts is difficult to answer. Do other states have
> "arts" education certificates? How are those teacher managing to teach
> more than one discipline? Integrate? Blocks of time? As resource to
> other teachers?
>
> We have some very dynamic people interested in arts education. I just
> worry that our naive officials will interprete our ideas into something
> awful.
>
> Lorena Nalin
> Tucson, AZ

Respond to this message.