Re: Trees and Me Activities

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Fri, 4 Jan 1980 18:42:34 +0300

Respond to this message.

Inspired by the post describing how physicists had determined trees
speak to each other and the moving example of first graders pointing
out which tree spoke to them, I decided to use this concept with
first graders.

We looked at different examples of works of art that were inspired by
trees, both figurative and non-figurative, looking at shapes, color,
design, patterns, how you could tell time of date, weather, etc. from
the color used. Then I shared the comment about trees speaking to
each other and asked them if the trees we were looking at could
speak, what would they say?

We had some interesting comments that
they shared about what the works of art might say to them and then
went outside. I asked them to pick their favorite tree and in unison
they said, "The tree with the eye - the tree with the eye" - so we
went to find the tree with the eye and looked at its shape, its form,
its limbs. We compared how the tree was similar to us, different from
us, who it was home to, what the "eye" saw during the day, what the
tree might say it its neighbors, how it felt. It happened to be
extraordinarily hot that day, so we talked about how the tree wanted
it to rain.

Then I had everyone pick one of the three trees in the area and sit
underneath it, with their backs touching the bark with their eyes closed.
They sat listening to what the tree had to say to them for several minutes,
not speaking, keeping their eyes closed and not speaking the entire
time.

Then we went back into the classroom, shared the results (My tree
said it was hot - My tree said thankyou for visiting me - My tree said
I like watching you play at recess - My tree said I wish you were a bird."
etc. ) For kids who didn't hear anything, I told them to make
something up and then we as a group made up more things the trees
could have said. After this discussion and a painting demonstration,
I gave them palettes of primaries, white and black and mixing trays to paint what the tree said and how it felt.

Some painted the heat, some painted the imagined rain in a rainbow
palette, some painted shapes, some painted the tree with them sitting
underneath - each one is completely different and unique.
The results are truely fabulous, with each one its own personal
story.

As a follow up for the next class session, we went outside, did
texture rubbings of leaves and bark, and other things in nature
around our trees. Back in the classroom we used our hands instead
of scissors to tear out the shape of a tree, its arms and limbs,
glued it onto a background color and then "cut" out leaves from the
texture rubbings with our hands to add to the trunk. I gave them
watercolor crayons and watercolor to draw with on top of their
design. I then demonstrated how with water on a brush, the colors
would blend and turn into watercolor. Some kids went back outside
and got sticks to glue into their composition as part of the tree itself.
Adding the watercolor toned down the white of the paper leaves
without losing the quality of the texture rubbings. These trees are
equally wonderful and unique.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton