Re: one time visits

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 19:27:20 -0800

Respond to this message.

craig roland wrote:

> This discussion provokes memories of a school-sponsored trip I took as a
> 14-year old to New York City. I recall seeing two works by Andrew Wyeth
> and one by Picasso that left a lasting impression on me. <snip>
> don't recall any docent talking with us about these works, reading any
> literature, playing any museum game, etc., <snip>
> I'm not saying that a museum educator or docent can not strengthen this
> experience. It just seems to me that the museum (art-viewing) experience is a
> very personal one and it is the power of the work itself that leaves "a
> lasting impression."

Craig's right. As teachers, we have to know when to step back and just let our students
experience things for themselves. I take a vanload of students to the Phoenix Art
Museum every year (an 8 hour round trip); and yes, we have a great docent for about an
hour, but then I let them loose to explore the museum on their own. There are always a
few students who make the trip every year; they are obviously being affected by
something there.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply

Respond to this message.