Re: kids CAN do more

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 18:43:03 -0800

Respond to this message.

Gary Bogus wrote:

> Deb and Christine,
>
> I couldn't agree more. I am currently involved in writing new standards/
> curriculum in art for my district. As a parent and teacher I have been
> arguing for years for increased content and higher standards in all areas,
> especially art. My experience shows me that kids not only CAN learn more,
> they WANT to learn more. Lowered expectations only teach them how to slide
> by with minimum effort. Now, the job is convince the audults of this...

Add my AMEN to the general chorus here.

Sometimes I think maybe I'm asking too much, or not doing the kinds of things
that have a high "wow" quotient. Many of our assignments are practicing skills before
they get to the main assignment. I push and push and try to get students to go a step
beyond their abilities. I'm very adamant that they learn basic skills and craftsmanship
in 2D and 3D work. I insist that they can do better and not take the easy way out. It
really exhausts me! I often wonder if I'm turning them off to art by constantly making
recommendations for improvement.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply

Respond to this message.