Re: A&E.A: Questioning Strategy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Emily Agnes Thomas (eat)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:21:14 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

I don't know exactly what grade you are teaching or much about the mask
but...I know it is important with anything that might not be considered
"art" in culture (because that culture might not categorize everything
like the Western culture), to address that concept and the fact that many
museums take these objects out of context of their original setting and
attempt to interpret them. Some attempts at this are more successful than
others. Maybe you could bring in information about the Yaqui
culture...Show a video where these masks are use and ask questions
regarding the differences they see in our culture and theirs...placing no
judgements yet acknowledging the differences. Just a suggestion. Might
bring up a lot of interesting comments/questions about differing ways
people perceive art and their environment.
- Emily Thomas (Art Administration graduate student U of Oregon)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Bryce M Downing wrote:

> For our class, we are asked to develop a questioning strategy based
> on a work of art from our lesson sequence. The artwork we have chosen is
> a Yaqui mask which is used in several dance ceremonies. The questions
> are:
> 1. What do you see?
> 2. Which colors do you see?
> 3. What kinds of patterns do you see?
> 4. What kind of shapes do you see?
> 5. What do you think the mask is used for?
> 6. What do you think the mask is made of?
> 7. What captures your interest when looking at this mask? Is there a
> personal focal point?
> 8. Do you like the mask? Why or why not?
> 9. How does the mask make you feel?
> 10. Can you make a personal connection to this artwork with something or
> an experience in your life?
> 11. Does this mask look like something you've seen before?
>
> If you have any suggestions on how these questions may be improved,
> or an idea about other questions we could ask, please let us know. Your
> contributions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryce Downing, Lindsay Crelman, Belia Camacho and Anel Castro

Respond to this message.