Re: A&E.A Aesthetic Puzle

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kmt127
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:22:56 -0600

Respond to this message.

At 10*13 PM 11/17/97, Ashley W Pritchard wrote:
>Hi, I am working with Kim E., Susan S., and Cathleen L. on thier lesson
>plan. Part of the lesson plan involves the development of an aesthetic
>puzle. This is the the puzle that I have come up with for the group I am
>working with.
>
> Both Ron Hirschi's books and Joseph Beuy's 7000 Oaks project deal
>with ecological restoration. Hirschi, through his books, helps people work
>together to learn about and heal thier enviroment, he also uses hands-on
>science approch to engage elementary students in learning about the
>enviroment. Beuy, through his urban revitalization project, did a staged
>action to address significant community issues about urban ecology.
>Locally here near Tucson, the Mount Lemon region has gone through dramatic
>changes because of highway work. Trees and soil from entire hills have
>been displaced. Can art adequately present a solution to the displacment
>of trees and soil and still be considered art? Or is it just an act to
>attract attention to an issue?
>
>Ashley P., Kim E., Susan S., & Cathleen L.
>The University of Arizona

Greetings:
You may be interested in reading "But is it Art?: The Spirit of Art and
Activism" edited by Nina Felshin. This text has essays disscussing the
works of Gran Fury, Suzanne Lacy, Peggy Diggs, Mierle Ukeles and a host of
others. Some of these artists work within new genre public art:
enviromental, conceptual, collaborative, and socially conscious work. The
questions these works raise are both enlightening and problematic. The
de-materialization of public art is an interesting aesthetic issue.
You might also want to read "Mapping the Terrain: New Genre Public
Art" by Suzanne Lacy. It covers much of the same issues, and looks closer
at questions of audience, territory, borders, "publics, " monuments, and
censorship.
-Kevin

Kevin Michael Tavin Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Art Education