Re: The Web of Life: The Art of John Biggers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:53:52 CST6CDT

Respond to this message.

Dear Betty:

It's wonderful to hear from so many people who are familiar with
Biggers' work. We like to claim him, too, since he has lived and
worked in Texas for so long.

Since you are from North Carolina, maybe you can solve a
mystery for us. In the conversation with Biggers, he and
McCarter both said that the first work of art they remembered
seeing was the WPA post office mural in Gastonia, North Carolina.
Apparently it still exists, but we cannot find out the name of
the mural's artist. Any ideas?

Nancy

> From: p-lstudio (betti longinotti)
> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:28:05 -0500
> To: walkup (Nancy Walkup)
> Subject: Re: The Web of Life: The Art of John Biggers

> The luscious little maquette for the Biggers mural, The Web of Life, is
> part of an exhibition that we have been enjoying in NC at the Diggs
> Gallery at WSSU, entitled In the Spirit of Resistance.
> John Biggers is special to us in NC as he native to us, and now is
> residing again in NC. His nephew, Jim Biggers and he co-created murals
> at WSSU, entitled Origins and Ascension, upstairs from where the gallery
> is in the O'Kelley library.
>
> In Art & Life,
> Betti L.
> p-lstudio
> or on the www at
> http://www.angelfire.com/nc/plstudio

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 305100, University of North Texas
Denton, TX 76203
walkup
940/565-3986 FAX 940/565-4867

Respond to this message.