[Fwd: Re: Teacher discussion groups]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:04:02 -0800

Respond to this message.

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:00:24 -0800
From: kprs <kprs>
To: Robben1713
Subject: Re: Teacher discussion groups

Robben1713 wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows a discussion/mailing list/message board
> similar to this one but for Math teachers? Thanks!
> Jessica
> Scotch Plains, NJ

This was started by the Getty Foundation, an advocate for art
education. What you need to do is contact a math advocacy group and
have them sponsor a similar group. If they don't have one, then invite
them to check us out. This site is especially helpful for us, mainly
because art teachers are generally isolated in a school system. There
are usually only one of us in the school system, as compared to multiple
math/science/english teachers, and we are usually categorized as "non
academic" teachers, traditionally relagated to "step children" in the
school system, last to get funding, first to get cut. Our function as
seen by non art educators, is to keep students busy, decorate the
school, make things for parents, be therapy. We are much more than
that, and we need to keep reminding each other that we are, because,
again in isolation, we wind up tilting against windmills. And quite
frankly, I think that is why this group works. My guess is you won't
find a math teacher group.

San D

Respond to this message.