Re: Colouring In ..again!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 06:38:21 -0800

Respond to this message.

croberts wrote:

> Bob Greaves wrote:
> >
> .....(snip).....
>
> > My own experience is that children need to be taught how to use the
> > whole page if that is the teaching aim. When Primary aged children
> > paint they do the detail first then are unable to fill in the
> > background as that would cover the detail. They need to be shown how
> > to paint the background first..
>
> Well said...I am having that problem right now with my 8th graders who
> are painting. I can tell them over and over to paint the background
> first and then add the details and they STILL jump right in and put in
> the details FIRST. I tell them that's like "dessert"...it has to come
> last!
>
> Carolyn Roberts

HS students are just as bad! My solution has been to issue only large brushes to start,
with instructions to fill the entire canvas with underpainting (washes) to establish
basic shapes and colors. Then they go back with progressively more opaque layers. Only
when I'm satisfied with the larger areas will I let them use small brushes. There's a
lot of complaining, but the results are much better than they wouldn've been. Of
course, they'd never admit it...;)

Maggie**remove x in address to reply

Respond to this message.