RE: Budgets for teaching art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Terri (schurter)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 06:33:41 -0500

Respond to this message.

I teach art at a high school. When I was transferred from the elementary
five years ago my budget was about $5000.00 a year to teach six classes a
day. The second year I was at the high school it was cut to $3,000.00 and
has not been increased since. If you factor in inflation I figure that I
have less than half as much buying power now as five years ago. It gets
harder and harder to make ends meet, especially since I am teaching two
classes of photography in additional to other art classes. I am so
discouraged about the budget situation that I am getting really burned out
on teaching. In fact, I have not read this newsgroup in three months, but
happened to notice the subject line when my email was downloading and
thought I would check to see what someone else has to say on the subject. I
routinely spend about $500.00 or more out of pocket each year to supplement
my budget. I do it because it makes my life easier, but I resent it all
the same.

Terri

At 10:57 PM 11/9/97 -0500, Mark Alexander wrote:
>I have to teach on a cart, I don't have a place I can grade papers during
>my plan periods, I have supplies stashed in other classrooms and in the
>nurse's room which makes them difficult to get at sometimes, but I do get a
>really good budget. This is a public schools, which has 130 total k-8
>students and I get $3000 per year for the art program. I don't have trouble
>spending it, either. For that I'm expected to share supplies like colored
>paper, tempera paints, modeling clay and ceramic clay with the classroom
>teachers. I hide the good stuff as well as I can, but I leave out the cheap
>paper, the opened temperas, etc. kind of like a rabbit garden. It works ok.
>I don't complain.
>
>Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
> Lee H. Kellogg School
> 47 Main Street
> Falls Village, Connecticut 06031
> U.S.A.
>

>At 9:51 PM 11/9/97, DEBBI CRANE wrote:
>>I teach art in rural southern Indiana, and we get three dollars per year
>>per child for art supplies. In some schools, the PTO also gives each
>>teacher 100.00 per year to purchase additional stuff. I only buy books
>>with my own money, books that I intend to keep when I leave, move or
>>change jobs.
>>Just thought I'd share...
>>
>>debbi

TerriBlue: "What's obvious to me...
isn't always obvious to everybody else."
TerriBlue ... The Goddess of Go

My goal in life: Shodan before death

Respond to this message.