Re: ideas with paper making

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joan Segal Leal da Costa (296joan)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:54:29 -0000

Respond to this message.

-----Original Message-----
From: C604915K <C604915K>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: segunda-feira, 10 de novembro de 1997 0:38
Subject: ideas with paper making

After they have made plenty of paper of different colors and texures I'd
like them to use it to construct a sculpture relating it to ecology of
course. However I'm not quite sure how to go about >doing this. How can I
use the paper in a sculpural way?

Instead of making the paper into flat sheets you can make it into three
dimensional forms by placing it over or in molds, such a bowls, plates or
even rocks or tree trunks. The only limit is imagination. These three
dimensional forms can then be used by your students in their sculptures.
You can always use the pulp in the same way as you use paper mache.
Have you tried malking paper from plants or grass gathered after mowing the
lawn?

A little further into the possibilities is the work done with porcelain
paper. Mix porcelain powder into the pulp. I have also tried powdered clay
mixed into the pulp. Of course this is more to do with ceramics than paper
as the work is then fired. But we can get paper thin slabs to work with.
I hope this helps a little.

Joan

Respond to this message.