Re: Nude Art and Christianity

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 22:17:43 -0500

Respond to this message.

Dear Minister Mark Everett Sanders,

Interesting question. Pornography is probably as hard to define as art,
love, or even time. I think that the nude human body portrayed in art,
while it may sometimes be erotic, is not pornography unless it is
demeaning or harmful to the model, the artist, or the viewer.

I just got back from the Clark Institute, in Williamstown, Massachusetts
with my 6th and 7th graders. There were many nudes there, including many
lovely Renoirs. Before we went I told them we would be seeing them,
explaining that the nude has been portrayed in art as long as there has
been art. I also suggested that if one of their classmates made a big fuss,
to just remind them that its just art, not nasty. I also suggested that
they not judge their giggling classmates, because if they were unable to
deal with the nude in art it was simply because they were less mature. I
saw no inappropriate behavior on the trip, and even some of the wise guy
types were able to talk about the color or line or other elements found in
these paintings of the nude human body. One of them did, however, purchase
a reproduction of THE NYMPHS AND THE SATYR in key chain form, and giggled
as he pretended to give it to his mother for a present.

My minister shared a wonderful book with me last year. It was called
something like: THE WOMAN IN CHRISTIAN ART, or something along that line,
and it had many wonderful nudes in it.

Thanks for bringing up a new and interesting topic!

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School
47 Main Street
Falls Village, Connecticut 06031
U.S.A.

At 3:00 PM 11/9/97, mesande wrote:
>Besides being a student artist, I am also a minister. When
>did nude art become such a problem for the Christian church?
>I have had to fight and stand against criticism for nude studies
> being a part of my art work. I will continue to support the human form
>as a subject of art (unless it interfers with my effectiveness
>as a minister). In your opinion what is the difference between nude art and
>pornography?
>
>Love Never Fails,
>
>Minister Mark Everett Sanders
>121 Holiday Street