RE: Budgets for teaching art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
DEBBI CRANE (craned)
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 21:51:48 -0500

Respond to this message.

I teach art in rural southern Indiana, and we get three dollars per year per child for art supplies. In some schools, the PTO also gives each teacher 100.00 per year to purchase additional stuff. I only buy books with my own money, books that I intend to keep when I leave, move or change jobs.
Just thought I'd share...

debbi

----------
From: Brenda Bain[SMTP:brenda_b]
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 1997 9:14 AM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: Budgets for teaching art

A big DITTO here on the art budget blues. A lot of great suggestions, but
I would also like to add a word of caution - Be careful when you spend your
own money on your art program. My administrator learned quickly that I
would use my own money. She knew the students were getting a quality art
program, and she was saving money. My budget never improved.

I still spend my own money, but only on things that can go with me when I
leave, books, prints, slides, videos, etc. Also when the classroom
teachers send to my room for art supplies I let them know about my limited
budget. I tell them that I can trade supplies, but that I cannot give them
anything. They are usually appalled at my lack of budget. They get $10 per
year per student for classroom supplies. I get $1.

brenda

Brenda Bain
Art Teacher
St. John Elementary, Quincy, FL