Re: Paper making

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:56:35 +0300

Respond to this message.

For the paper itself, I use a combination of cotton linters (10%) and recycled paper from the
computer lab (90%) which has a high fiber content to it. You can use
any kind of recycled paper although newsprint and newspaper turn
grey. Soak the paper overnight, throw a small fistfull in a blender
and turn on frappe for a minute or so until it is a fine "pulp." You
can do it if it isn't soaked but it won't break down as easily and
leaves chunks in the paper fiber. I add a cap of bleach to a 5 gallon
bucket to keep the water from spoiling. For screens, you can simply
staple gun screen door screening to an old picture frame. I reinforce
it with a screen door mesh (not the small squares but the 1/2" mesh)
- I'm not sure what it's called - it looked like grilling -
underneath the screen door screening for strength. You can also buy
papermaking mesh, which is of course the best and most durable from
Twin Rocker, I believe is the company.

You can add colored tissue paper for dye instead of acrylic paint.
Acrylic will stain clothes if it is splashed during the papermaking
process. The tissue creates great color but it will temporarily stain
your hands. Construction paper works well, too, shredded up and added
to the pulp; the colors aren't as vivid as tissue paper but the dye
won't stain your hands as much. Colored pulp is fun because you can
put different colors together onto one screen and construct a
multicolored piece of paper from a variety of tubs. I use the deep
plastic dishwashing tubs you can buy at the dime store for holding
the paper pulp. I usually have students save the flower heads from
cut flowers, collect skins from onions, dried plants, etc. to throw
in one tub. Additionally, there is also a tub where I put in glitter
and sequins which is always really popular.

The other alternative to do keep your pulp white and do watercoloring
right on top of the wet paper after it is couched. Kids love this. The only danger is if they are still "scrubbing" while
painting with a brush and in that case, may pull some of the fiber
apart.

Instead of felt, you can use handiwipes for couching the paper from
the screen. The advantage of handiwipes is that you can throw them in
the washing machine after you are finished with them. The paper also
dries more quickly on the handiwipes. I put plastic on a table if I'm
doing it inside, otherwise, you can lay the handiwipes outside to
dry. I have used masking tape on the handiwipes to identify whose
paper is whose, but the older tape has a tendancy to pull away some
of the handiwipe.

You can couch your paper onto objects, such as molds, bowls, and even
make plaster casts for couching directly into your own molds. I have
done this process successfully with 4th grade on up.

Having been doing papermaking with kids for nearly
10 years, I've found these to be the best.

Regards,
Teresa