RE: Printmaking projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:23:20 +0300

Respond to this message.

A successful printmaking project I did was to work with 12 x 12
styrofoam plates and 4 x 4 styrofoam plates. The linoleum I inherited
is very old and 3" square, so this is a better alternative and can
bet cut into with pencils, or what I've been doing lately is
sharpening the ends of paint brushes and using them as drawing tools
as well.

On the 12" square, students drew a border at least 1 12" wide (we
actually did it in cm and mm but I can't translate it yet...) in
which they were to do different patterns. On the inside square, they
were to create an animal story with land, sea and air animals (of
Africa - since that's where we are... but it can be from anywhere..)
The story they created was to be written out in their language arts
class.

Students practiced first by creating an animal image and background
on the small 4 x 4 plate before they created their larger plate. I
demonstrated how to pull a print with the image already developed,
then added more to the plate, and continued on changing each inking
so that you have a reductive type print that changes each pull or
run, depending on how many you want to pull. The styrofoam can be
easily cleaned up under water in between for changing colors.

Then I demonstrated how to create a multicolored print, inking the
inside square and then each side a different color OR brushing on the
printmaking ink directly with paintbrushes.

They turned out great. The kids were so excited by the process they
made cards, book covers, presents, even monoprints from the leftover
ink on the inking boards before we washed them up. I had kids coming
in at break and after school wanting to do printmaking.The styrofoam plates can be drawn onto on the backside as well,
giving you four images from the two plates. A real big
hit.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton