Re: Budgets for teaching art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:38:50 +0300

Respond to this message.

I recommend collecting data from other schools and programs to
develop something on paper. Talking these issues out loud doesn't go
as far as looking at what it means you can and cannot do, so that
someone can look at it. I have found that the best advocacy was
always statistical, backed up with a well-reasoned proposal and
rationale for what to do about it.

Use NAEA standards as a guideline. Put your budget in real terms of
what it will buy versus what you need. Draw up a list of required
supplies and their real costs. Compare it on paper to what you can
buy with what you have. Find out what are the other budgets for
science supplies, math, etc. Take the school mission and learning
goals and highlight the ones developed by art. Put it together and
give it to the PTA to take to the school board.

I just submitted my budget for $17,000 for 550 students and was
disappointed to have to cut the guillotine paper cutter I wanted.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 07:22:33 -0800
From: Marilyn Cassidy <cassdy>
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Budgets for teaching art

I have a question concerning art budgets. This is my third year
teaching elementary art in Houston ISD. The school I am at has approx.
1200 students. My 1st year the budget allowed $850 for supplies, last
year $122 (I was also allowed $500 from Kids Now coupon books), and this
year I will get $200 (with no fundraising). I am hitting the bottom of
the barrel of art supplies. I have to write at least 3 lesson plans per
grade level to accomodate for lack of supplies. Am I being a baby or is
this how most schools fund art programs? I find myself spending my own
money for supplies. If any one has ideas, I could use a few.

Respond to this message.