Re: A&E: Taking Kids Outside

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kate/Ron Hirschi (gresham.10)
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 17:39:23 -0500

Respond to this message.

Hi Mary!!!!!

It's me, Ron.

Rachel Carson is one person I always tell kids about. I have a photo of an
eagle that I took near my home in 1991 - when I show them that photo, I say
that when I was a kid there were no eagles in that area due to DDT
especially. Then, one woman changed that and changed the world. Rachel
wrote Silent Spring and set in motion so much and the presence of eagles in
our skies is the clearest example of how one person can effect change.

As the father of a daughter I love to stress that ONE WOMAN can change the
world.

I have always gotten a lot of inspiration from MB Goffstein - I love her
tiny book, AN ARTIST. She helps us to know we can make our work sing.

Ron Hirschi

>Graciela Kumar wrote:
>
>>When I think about how we can get kids involved in the art of their
>>community that has a tie to their environment, I believe that the first
>>thing we need to do is introduce art to children from a very early age.
>>Then, we must teach them the meaning of environment. Once they know what
>>these are, then they will start to think about these issues. A good way
>>to involve kids would be to take them on a field trip of a park or just
>>take them on a walk to talk about the environment.
>
>Have you read Rachel Carson's "The Sense of Wonder"? Inspired by her
>grandnephew, Roger Christie, this essay was originally published in
>"Woman's Home Companion" under the title "Help Your Child to Wonder". The
>text was published as an illustrated book following Carson's death in 1964.
>A new illustrated edition of this classic work has been published by The
>Nature Company and is available in their store. It is a classic,
>compelling argument for your issue.
>
>Rachel Carson is best known for "Silent Spring", a brave and masterful
>attack on the killing effects of DDT and other pesticides that changed
>views and use of evironmental toxins. The work set in mothion
>investigations that resulted in a ban on DDT and other pesticides, and
>provided the impetus for creation of the Environmental Protection Agency in
>1970.
>
>Mary Sheridan

Respond to this message.