Re: a&e.a Pickerington

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kate/Ron Hirschi (gresham.10)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 20:06:02 -0500

Respond to this message.

Mark,

Great good luck with your projects! I don't know if he has any ideas for
you, but a Phoenix person you might check with is Gary Nabhan (author of
Enduring Seeds, Native American Agriculture and Wild Plant Conservation).
His work with wild seed preservation is critical stuff and his dryland
farming ideas are based on the growing movement towards looking back at how
people have lived in arid places without draining entire rivers to be in
that spot.

Ron Hirschi

On 20 October Mark G wrote:
>I have been studying the section of the getty site on the Pickerington
>Elementary School. Yowza! What a project! Not only do the kids learn about
>the wetlands, but they also learn how to work with other people in their
>community and collaborate with artists form around the country.
>
>My favorite aspect of the program is that the kids learn through direct
>experience. They go to the wetlands, talk with ecological experts, and
>communicate directly with artists. It's like a year long field trip! Only
>better, as the kids do projects in reponse to what they learn, and create art
>that is an integral part of the program.
>Empowerment!
>
>As a potential first time teacher I would love to experiment with this type
>of project. I would, however, scale it down considerably. I would start
>with a single class of grade school kids and examine an environmental issue
>in Tucson. Here, we do not have wetlands. In fact, our major problem is the
>lack of water in general. We have a growing population and a decreasing
>water supply.
>
>I would first try to give my class an emotional/aesthetic appreciation of
>water. Then, I would present ecological and biological information. The
>history of population growth/water usage would be examined, which could lead
>into conservation/recycling/treatment.
>
>As they did at Pickerington, I would utilize as many field trips as possible.
> I would take the kids to lakes, recycling and treatment plants, specially
>designed homes, and Arcosanti.
>
>I would synthesize the knowledge and experiences from the field trips and in
>class lessons through art, such as Haiku, and various studio projects. I
>would also try group discussions that would lead to letters to the editor of
>the local papers. Finally, I would work with the children to create a public
>access program that would bring all the previous projects together and help
>them focus on how to present what they learned to others.
>
>mark g
>arted university of arizona

Respond to this message.