Re: artsednet-digest V2 #413

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kate/Ron Hirschi (gresham.10)
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 20:06:14 -0500

Respond to this message.

There is a physicist in Oregon who has reported hearing trees "speak" to
one another.

Simple mention of this to kids has been a wonderful experience for me. In
one Western Montana forest products community in which I was told not to
discuss forests with the kids, a bunch of first graders took me out to the
playground and showed me a birch tree that they listen to regularly.

Ron Hirschi

On 19 October ALPHAME wrote:
>There is a wonderful picture book by Silverstein called The Giving Tree.
>It would be a great start to get elementary kids thinking about their
>relationship to the environment.
>It follows a young boy who grows into an old man and takes and takes from
>the tree. It It gets the point across and is touching. The tree is a
>nuturing mother-like fiqure. Perhaps students could make other
>personified images of nature's gifts. The five Chinese elements, fire
>water earth metal and wood, can be looked at as creative or destructive
>materials depending on our use of them. This could be astarting point for
>environmental art. I remember a second grade teacher who had students us
>the collected lint from clothe's dryers to make images. They drew pictures
>and pasted the material on to them. This material is pretty close to home.

Respond to this message.