Re: FWD>RE>fossils

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sidnie Miller (sidmill.us)
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:25:38 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

I tried out the chicken bone bit--I didn't buy the book of course, just
took off from this post. Well--let me recommend that you only boil a
chicken for 1 hour--not 2 or so as I did. When I cleaned off the bones
I couldn't believe how many there were. I didn't have any bleach, which
I suspect might be the next step--there was still some flesh on the bones
especially the backbone so I thought I'd try to bake them away. I baked
them for 2 hours and they were so extremely fragile I could hardly handle
them without breakage. I got out the trusty glue gun which is the only
way I could conceive of doing this and glued the thing to death--just an
expression you understand--this thing was way beyond death. My dinosaur
is more of an entertainer. Since I didn't have a head, I got one of my
scavenger children's skulls--not their personal ones-the ones they have
been trained to bring in to mom--I believe it was a gopher. Anyway, it
was great. I took it to our state art ed conference and it was a hit.
Now
the problem is that it never quite got rid of the backbone flesh and it
smells--not really awful but enough to draw my cat who had it down on
the floor chewing it as fast as she could. It now lacks a tail, but still
looks pretty good. I think this would be a great idea for an art club--
order a barbequed whole chicken and have everyone save the bones as they
eat--then glue them up. It was fun.Sid--

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko Junior High School #
# 777 Country Club Drive #
# Elko, NV 89801 #