Re: A&E.A

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kate/Ron Hirschi (gresham.10)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:09:13 -0500

Respond to this message.

Angela,

I am happy to hear you are going to encourage your students to celebrate
their own backyard. I agree that many of us become bored with our usual
surroundings, that is why so many of my neighbors come down to be your
neighbor. Making migratory connections is one way to show kids some wonder
- birds, insects, and other desert inhabitants make for great study. I
think it is also important to celebrate individual students who have local
knowledge - often their parents know some things you can tap in to.

Ron Hirschi

Angela Champion wrote:

> There was a question posted on how, we as future educators, can get our
>students involved in the art of their community and ecology. I believe
>that it is very important for all people to respect their community and
>have a great deal of respect for what surrounds them (the world). As a
>teacher I will have the ability to change my students outlook and instill
>a sense of pride and respect for art and evironment. My ideas are for
>students in the fourth of fifth grade.
> There are many ways to do this in an elementary classroom. I have seen
>teachers do unit plans on recycling or even having the kids go out into
>the community around the school and pick up trash, but I have never seen a
>teacher relate ecology with art. I feel an excellent way of doing this is
>to show ecological artwork and talk about it in a class discussion. An
>ideal art work would be one that takes on an environmental issue and
>sparks feelings and thoughts on the issue. A good example could be the
>"Skymound" (I forget whom it is by) that takes on the issue of trash and
>the disposal of it. This kind of work could allow students to question
>our society while discussing art and maybe could lead into an aesthic type
>question.
> After students study ecological art maybe asking them to create an
>artwork of their own could accompany the lesson. Creation can help
>students grasp the idea of nature and art by actually having to use what
>they learned.
> I also think people take their own environment for grated because they
>see it daily and it is not so new to them. I live in the desert and I
>have heard many people, mostly my peers, complain about how ugly the
>desert is or how the drive to Pheonix is so boring, "there is nothing to
>look at." As a teacher, I hope to reintroduce the desert to my students;
>show them the wonders in their own backyard. I want them to realize a
>sahuro cactus is special to our area and that is something to take pride
>in.
>Anyone with questions, comments, and suggestions please write me!!

>Angela D Champion
>University of Arizona

Respond to this message.