Re: REDUCE, REUSE, & of course, recycle...it's simple!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kate/Ron Hirschi (gresham.10)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:08:26 -0500

Respond to this message.

Jonathan,

Good words from you.... Just wanted to add this: Adding to the Reduce,
Reuse, Recycle ---- the 4th and critical R: RESTORE. The concept can help
with a renewed focus since so much of America already needs restoration.

Ron Hirschi

Jonathan Ogle wrote:

>Society is changing, for the better.
>Sure, we (US) Americans may be more wasteful than ever before but there's
>a revolution that's beginning. It's the Simplicity Movement, a move from
>compulsive spending to frugality. A lot of us realize there are not enough
>"natural resources" to provide a "happy" materialistic life for every one
>in the world. Think of each and every Chinese person owning a car. What
>would that do to the environment? The Earth is finite. American (US) is
>young and has begun to realize that our country is running out of
>resources, so what can be done? Some neat words being tossed around by
>institutional systems supporting our "mad for matter" craze: Globalization
>(Western colonization), Development (maldevelopment), Economic progress
>(social and environmental degradation). Check out the Affluenza webpage to
>learn more (you won't be disappointed):
>http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza/
>Also check out my webpage: The Social Palette. As art educators, we all
>know about saving everything we can - sooner or later it will be used
>creatively and meaningfully. The art classroom is a clearinghouse of
>receiving and giving both knowledge and materials. This would be an ideal
>society, wouldn't it?
>
>_______________________
>Jonathan E. Ogle
>Graduate Teaching Assistant/Instructor,