Re: A&E.A

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kate/Ron Hirschi (gresham.10)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:07:51 -0500

Respond to this message.

Lindsay,

Better still, encourage the local Native American art in your school. Here
in western Washington, elementary schools sometimes hire Native American
aids to work in the building - academics as well as art is stressed at
David Wolfle Elementary in Kingston, Washington for example. In the local
middle school, kids have been making their own knives for carving masks of
alder for quite a few years, under the direction of Earl Hooper. Indian and
non-Indian alike get to celebrate the rich tradition of Northwest Coast art
in these projects.

Ron Hirschi

Lindsay Crelman wrote:
> I am responding to the question, what approaches do you use to
>teach about life-centered issues and ecological art? This can be found in
>panel three of the section, "Conversations about Teaching Contemporary
>Ecological Art"
> I think it would be a wonderful idea to take your class to a
>private
>indian reservation. Students can experience and learn about different
>cultures and the influence art has in these tribes. Ecological art holds
>a great importance with the Native Americans. If children actually see
>the significance art can have for different cultures, they might
>reevaluate what art means to them and to their culture. Hopefully,
>children will begin looking at art in a different way.
>
>Lindsay Crelman

Respond to this message.