Re: A&E.O censorship issues

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 13:07:41 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

I do address the issue of nudity in art, because in my Advanced PLacement
Art History course we look at a lot of it. To be on the safe side with
the parents, I send home for signature the following release I wrote:

Highly Gifted Magnet
North Hollywood High School
September 8, 1997

Dear Parents and Guardians:

As you know, this course is an introduction to art history. We
will examine major forms of artistic expression from the past as well as
the present and from a variety of cultures. The students will learn to
look at works of art critically, with intelligence and sensitivity, and to
articulate what they see or experience. As part of this process, we will
be looking at various works of art in different media from different times
by different cultures. Some of this art involves the naked human form.
Please signify, by signing where indicated below, your permission
for your son or daughter to view, write about, copy, discuss, and explain
works (including but not limited to slides, photographs, videos, statues,
and computer programs) involving naked human forms and interactions. You
acknowledge that there is an important educational purpose in studying
these items as part of an Art History course.

Sincerely,

Carla Schiller

Your signature below confirms your permission for and consent to the
above.
___________________________ _______________________
Signature of parent/guardian Name of parent/guardian (please print)

___________________________ _______________________
Date Student's name (please print)

Hope this helps! TO ANYONE OUT THERE: feel free to copy my form and use
it!
--Carla

Carla Schiller
Highly Gifted Magnet North Hollywood High School, CA
charwitt.us
http://lausd.k12.ca.us/~charwitt/index.html
People tend to make the best choice from among those they see,
they just don't always see ALL the choices.......

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Anthony N. Kopp wrote:

> I have been noticing a lot of censorship issues appearing on here lately,
> and it has sparked an interest in me. For my final presentation in this
> issues class, I have chosen to look into art censorship, particularly the
> use of the nude in artworks throughout history and the role of that use in
> modern art. I intend to focus on some works by Maplethorpe and the
> x-portfolio in order to discover where the lines between pornography,
> obscenity and art are drawn and, furthermore, who draws them. My primary
> question is addressed to any high school teachers out there. Do you ever
> address the use of nudity in art, or do the school boards prohibit this type
> of art from being taught? I understand the implications of bringing the
> controversial work of an artist like Maplethorpe into the classroom and
> would never do it without the cooperation of the school and school board,
> but I believe that the idea of teaching about the nude in art is a way to
> allow students of high school age to begin to see the body as more of a work
> of art and less as a sexual object. If anyone has dealt with these
> problems, please e-mail me. Also, any lesson ideas for a studio dealing
> with this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony N. Kopp
> kopp.16
> It appears that we are marooned in the proverbial excretory tributary
> lacking sufficient means of motivation.

Respond to this message.