Re: foreshortening

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:37:00 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Thank you SO much for this explanation! Now I understand...
this is such a terrific group!
--Carla

Carla Schiller
Highly Gifted Magnet
North Hollywood High School, CA
charwitt.us
http://lausd.k12.ca.us/~charwitt/index.html
People tend to make the best choice from among those they see,
they just don't always see ALL the choices.......

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, kprs wrote:

> carla harwitt wrote:
> >
> > I have a question for the group. I've read several definitions of the term
> > "foreshortening" and I ought to understand it by now, but I don't! Could
> > someone explain it to me? Thanks.
> >
> > Carla Schiller
> > Highly Gifted Magnet
> > North Hollywood High School, CA
> > charwitt.us
> > http://lausd.k12.ca.us/~charwitt
> > *************************************************************************************
> > People tend to make the best choice from among those they see,
> > they just don't always see ALL the choices.......
>
> Quite simply, think of a person laying down in front of you, eye
> level....feet first.....draw him...you would be drawing the feet large
> and then go back to a smaller (in proportion to the real) head, in a
> compact, perspective drawing...that is called a forshortened drawing.
>

> Foreshorten \Fore*short"en\, v. t. 1. (Fine Art) To represent on a plane
> surface, as if extended in a direction toward the spectator or nearly
> so; to shorten by drawing in perspective.
>
> San D

Respond to this message.