Re: artist as teacher vs. teacher

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Fri, 4 Jan 1980 14:46:56 +0300

Respond to this message.

Dear Michelle,

These may be the most difficult teachers to work with, but they are
slowly won over through osmosis. The kids will benefit from your
interaction with them, nonetheless, in spite of what the teacher
tries to do to undermine your efforts. Remember that change is slow,
especially in entrenched adults, and that addage from transpersonal
psychology that you may not be able to change the other person
but you can change your response to their behavior. The other one
that comes to mind is "You catch flies with honey, not vinegar."

I have had a few teachers like this over the years that I've worked
with as an artist-in-residence. What always amazed me was how the
kids later would quote to me what I said to them, in spite of the
efforts of the regular classroom teacher to control, condemn, and
cruxify. Remember, you're having an impact even if you can't always
visibly see it. I've found that going at an issue like this sideways
is always the most effective in the long run. Do some coalition
building with other teachers and the principal. Ask questions of the
teacher in charge to make your point instead of telling her what
she's doing. I've found that asking questions in the Socratic style
is the most effective because it forces people to come to the
conclusion without you telling it to them directly. "Why is it
important to you that everyone do it this way?" "Were you ever in a
situation where you wanted to do an assignment differently than the
teacher gave directions for." "If this was your child, what would
your response be?" etc.

Hitting people like this over the head on is only going to polarize
the attitudes and behaviors. A good primer on perhaps rethinking how
to approach her is the work of Arnold Mindell, especially, "Sitting in the
Fire." It's his position that it is these most difficult, conflict
spots that we must face if we are really going to create change in
the world.

So, as the Japanese say, "Gombatte" - more strong fight! Don't give up your
efforts, they're for the kids, not the teacher.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton