Re: foreshortening

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sun, 02 Nov 1997 19:08:02 -0800

Respond to this message.

carla harwitt wrote:

> I have a question for the group. I've read several definitions of the term
> "foreshortening" and I ought to understand it by now, but I don't! Could
> someone explain it to me? Thanks.
>
> Carla Schiller
> Highly Gifted Magnet
> North Hollywood High School, CA
> charwitt.us
> http://lausd.k12.ca.us/~charwitt
> People tend to make the best choice from among those they see,
> they just don't always see ALL the choices.......

Quite simply, think of a person laying down in front of you, eye
level....feet first.....draw him...you would be drawing the feet large
and then go back to a smaller (in proportion to the real) head, in a
compact, perspective drawing...that is called a forshortened drawing.

Foreshorten \Fore*short"en\, v. t. 1. (Fine Art) To represent on a plane
surface, as if extended in a direction toward the spectator or nearly
so; to shorten by drawing in perspective.

San D

Respond to this message.