Re: New Arts Education URL (Pete Gomes)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Roy Liebergen (rllieber)
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 19:21:46 -0600

Respond to this message.

Sandra Hildreth wrote:

> Part of Pete's message:
>
> >Does anyone currently tackle this difficult area in existing lessons. How do
> >children react if they think something has taken no discernable artistic
> >skill?
I must have missed the original posting, but recently I had a group of
fourth grade students paint with no assignment. I gave them the primary
colors and told them to have fun. This was a lead in to a structured
painting project we were doing next. What I was trying to do was show
them that sometimes just putting the paint on the paper was so exciting
that when we begin painting something representational the process gets
in the way (am I making sense?), so that day we could just enjoy the
feeling of the brush laden with paint sliding over the paper, puddle the
colors together and it wouldn't matter (and learning about color would
happen). The kids loved it and couldn't wait to take them home. I think
it was a valuable lesson. Carol

Respond to this message.