Re: Poetry and Pottery

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 23:30:55 -0600

Respond to this message.

At 06:57 PM 11/23/96 -0500, AlJoB1 wrote:
>Greetings!
>I'm searching for references to pottery in poetry for one of my ceramics
>students. I encourage my students to incorporate their interest in ceramics
>with their other subject areas.

Here is a section of The Rubayyat of Omar Khayyam

Translated into English in 1859
by Edward FitzGerald

You can see a copy of the poem at:
http://rook3.cit.ics.saitama-u.ac.jp/khayyam.txt

snip....parts deleted.....

XXXIV
Then to the rolling Heav'n itself I cried,
Asking, "What Lamp had Destiny to guide
Her little Children stumbling in the Dark?"
And -- "A blind Understanding!" Heav'n replied.
XXXV.
Then to the Lip of this poor earthen Urn
I lean'd, the secret Well of Life to learn:
And Lip to Lip it murmur'd -- "While you live,
Drink! -- for, once dead, you never shall return."
XXXVI.
I think the Vessel, that with fugitive
Articulation answer'd, once did live,
And merry-make, and the cold Lip I kiss'd,
How many Kisses might it take -- and give!
XXXVII.
For in the Market-place, one Dusk of Day,
I watch'd the Potter thumping his wet Clay:
And with its all obliterated Tongue
It murmur'd -- "Gently, Brother, gently, pray!"
XXXVIII.
And has not such a Story from of Old
Down Man's successive generations roll'd
Of such a clod of saturated Earth
Cast by the Maker into Human mould?
XXXIX.
Ah, fill the Cup: -- what boots it to repeat
How Time is slipping underneath our Feet:
Unborn To-morrow, and dead Yesterday,
Why fret about them if To-day be sweet!

hope this helps......

Bob