Re: Poetry and Pottery

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 22:54:04 -0600

Respond to this message.

At 06:57 PM 11/23/96 -0500, AlJoB1 wrote:
>Greetings!
>I'm searching for references to pottery in poetry for one of my ceramics
>students. I encourage my students to incorporate their interest in ceramics
>with their other subject areas.

You may like the Robaiyyate by Omar Khayyam..

The Robaiyyat is a collection of some 150 persian quatrains and was written
by Omar Khayyam (1048-1122). Omar Khayyam is the most famous Persian
mathematician and poet. His Robaiyyat is
translated to more than 40 languages. Robaiyyate Omar Khayyam was
translated to English by Edward Fitzgerald (1809-1883). I also favor the
translation by Robert Graves. If I remember correctly, the poem has one
speaking to his clay bowl or mug as if it were a symbol for fleeting life
and love. There is a wonderful reference in it to clay...the bowl was made
of potters clay...."from clay, from hands of kings and beggers feet"...etc.
etc."

Also check out Jeramiah, Chapter 18 for an example of the potter's craft
as a metaphor for the way the Lord will remake his earlier failed efforts. I
am not sure if the origional was in verse or prose.

Respond to this message.