Re: Organizing Art Trips

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chris Merriam (ktwnldy.az.us)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 15:57:54 -0700

Respond to this message.

Bob Bowers wrote:

>Do any of you have any experience with taking a group of students on an
>art-related trip of extended length? I'd like to plan a trip with my
>high-school art students to Mexico, where they could experience the art
>and culture first-hand.

Have taken overnight trips to sites 5 and 7 hours away from us (Phoenix
and Santa Fe). These trips are great, we visited artists, museums,
galleries, and sites of interest, but a LOT of work! I do recommend it if
you are a workaholic and willing to spend 5-10 extra hours a week on it. Be
smart and recruit some energetic parents with good connections and
leadership skills to delegate some of the work to.

>Funding would have to be done through fund-raisers, donations?, grants?, and
>possibly some out-of-pocket expense.

Hate to say it, but selling junkfood after lunch is the best and easiest
fundraiser. Buy in bulk from Sams Club or Price/Costco. Have kids help you
decide what to get. Also, go to your community: Unions donated money,
altruistic associations donated money, stores donated food, the district
found some funds etc. Students also paid $20 from their own pocket to help
buy meals.

>As far as supervision, we would need to have 1 adult for every __? students.

We had one adult for every 4-6 students (this was 4-5th graders).

>The approval would have to come from the School Board, which would have
>to be sold by a well-researched and thought-out plan.

First, present the idea to the principal... if you do not have local
support, you will have trouble getting the rest of the admin to go along.
Set forth very clear learning objectives. Explain how and why the
experience is necessary to achieve your goals.

>If anyone knows of any good resources such as pre-planned trips, or you
>have any helpful suggestions or ideas, please let us know.

One other concern. Every student must have documentation (birth certificate
/ visa / passport) and notarized permission from their parents to leave the
US and enter Mexico.

Have a great trip!!!!!

Chris
Christine Merriam, Art Educator