Re: Cubism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 21:33:15 -0500

Respond to this message.

Sybil wrote:
>I have a different take on Cubism and I would be interested in
>discussing it. I have always felt that Picasso and Braque were trying to
>get to the heart of realism with their depictions of cubist stilllifes.
>Does anyone else have ideas on this?

While teaching some Cubism related lessons and doing some research, I
noticed my students feel very confused with Cubism and they think it is
messy and disorganized. Yet I think Picasso and Braque were quite cold and
calculating as they structured their Cubist paintings, even to the point of
removing most of the color. So rather than focusing on the confusion, I try
to get them to see how the artists were trying to restructure space and
that the subject matter is actually very organized - though not in the way
we are used to viewing things.

Sandra Hildreth <shildret>
http://www.northnet.org/hildreth
Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617

Respond to this message.