Re: Drawing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chris Merriam (ktwnldy.az.us)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:25:50 -0700

Respond to this message.

Roy Liebergen wrote:

> Hi everyone, About drawing--I just had my fifth grade classes do a still
> life drawing that I thought would appeal to them--clothes hung on a
> hanger, jeans, a vest, a shirt and a hat in a pocket. They had to do a
> contour drawing first then add shading. The kids hated it--my question
> is why?

Have you tried using small toys instead? I have a collection of domestic
and endangered species animal toys. I set them up top of boxes or milk
crates so they are at eye level. We do a continuous line contour drawing
of the edges of the animal (I model it by having kids gather around the
table and watch me). Then we use colored pencils to model and create a
background. The kids are very happy with the project and results. I
guess toys are more interesting than clothes.

Have fun!
Chris
Christine Merriam, Art Educator
Kayenta Intermediate School