Re: Drawing faces --5th grade

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:11:28 -0500

Respond to this message.

Lockie wrote:
>I am looking for innovative ways to teach anatomy and
>proportion and expression of the human face

To introduce junior high students to facial proportions and how to draw
eyes, etc., I first of all go through a guided practice in which I provide
a xeroxed blank oval about the size of a human head. I also give each
student a strip of tagboard about 1" wide by the length of the oval (or
human head). I have them hold one end of the strip on top of their head and
the other end should be about at their chin. While holding it in place on
top of their head, I have them use their other hand to mark the position of
their eyes - it turns out to be roughly in the middle of the tagboard
strip. I then have them transfer this information to their blank oval by
using the tagboard to draw a line across the mid point of it. We mark the
positions of the nose, mouth and ears the same way, as well as using the
tagboard strip to measure the width of an eye and the space inbetween the
eyes. I then do guided practices that involve generalized methods for
drawing eyes, noses, mouths, and ears, and discuss how to add hair. To give
them a fun opportunity to apply this knowledge, in a non-threatening way, I
have designed fake Police Reports - each student fills one in about some
criminal - there are blanks that various questions about the description of
the criminal. Then I have blank wanted posters, with the facial oval
lightly sketched in. Students complete the report one day and the next day
I switch them around and hand them back. They each have to interpret the
report and pretending they are police artists, design the wanted poster. I
grade them on how reasonably accurate the location and drawing of the
facial features are as well as the creative interpretation of the police
report.

Sandra Hildreth <shildret>
http://www.northnet.org/hildreth
Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617

Respond to this message.