Re: First Grade Art on a Cart

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Becky Alexander (Bekalex)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:13:36 -0700

Respond to this message.

Kindergarten +

"If you want to be a hero,

Be all ready by the count of zero:

5...4...3...2...1...0"

This is to get them finished cleaning up and ready for next
activity. It hustles them. I vary the speed to tasks necessary before
"ready". Usual consequences for "not ready" without good cause.

Becky Alexander
Porterville, Ca.

P.S. Oh, my, what do the High school teachers think of this one!!! :) :)

>sally r watkins wrote:
>>

>> >To: Artsednet Talk Listserve
>> >From: srwatkins.edu (sally r watkins)
>> >Subject: First grade art on a cart
>> >
>> >As a graduate student who teaches seven, first grade art classes at the
>> >local elementary school, I am having trouble with classroom management. I
>> >spend thirty minutes with each class, and spend 15 minutes trying to get
>> >everyone to stay seated or stop talking. I also need suggestions for
>> >lessons that work well using a cart and having classes back to back.I'll
>> >take any suggestions.
>

>I was visiting Cape Cod last year and bought a boat bell. I trained the
>kids to be quiet when they hear it. This year the whole fifth grade is
>trained to mimic a clapped beat when they hear it. It may take 3
>different beats but they all try to get it. It helps that the whole
>school does it.
>
>One first grade teacher has a frog she wears around her neck that
>clicks. Her children are trained to freeze when it clicks.
>
>Many teachers count to whatever but the kids have to be trained.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Kelly

Respond to this message.