Re: First Grade Art on a Cart

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Smurthwaite (smrthwt)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 16:10:29 -0500

Respond to this message.

sally r watkins wrote:

> >To: Artsednet Talk Listserve
> >From: srwatkins.edu (sally r watkins)
> >Subject: First grade art on a cart
> >
> >As a graduate student who teaches seven, first grade art classes at the
> >local elementary school, I am having trouble with classroom management. I
> >spend thirty minutes with each class, and spend 15 minutes trying to get
> >everyone to stay seated or stop talking. I also need suggestions for
> >lessons that work well using a cart and having classes back to back.I'll
> >take any suggestions.

I was visiting Cape Cod last year and bought a boat bell. I trained the
kids to be quiet when they hear it. This year the whole fifth grade is
trained to mimic a clapped beat when they hear it. It may take 3
different beats but they all try to get it. It helps that the whole
school does it.

One first grade teacher has a frog she wears around her neck that
clicks. Her children are trained to freeze when it clicks.

Many teachers count to whatever but the kids have to be trained.

Good luck.

Kelly

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: Becky Alexander: "Re: First Grade Art on a Cart"