Re: College courses vs reality

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jeff Young (jyoung)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:57:19 CST6CDT

Respond to this message.

From: EVasso
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:38:25 -0500
To: jyoung, vmcswain, jstenger
Cc: artsednet
Subject: Re: College courses vs reality

>>Jeff Young wrote in part:

<< I don't think all professors are this way though. I just started
teaching at the University level this year after 13 years of
public school art classroom experience. I hope I don't become out of
touch with the reality of the classroom experience. I think at
present it's my strongest suit.

>>Fred wrote (in part):
Jeff,

>Y'know, I think my experience with professors of education is a little
>different. Particularly as it applies to graduate studies, but also to
>undergrad courses to some degree as well.. I didn't go back to school to get
>a lot of input from professors about the "real world" or classroom
>experience. I have that. But my first hand, practical experience is limited
>and narrow because of the fact that it is mine and mine alone. I work every
>day. I am close to it, to the kids, to the other staff members, to parents...
>What I lacked, and what the university offered, was theory, philosophy, big
>ideas, grand schemes... I didn't have to buy the whole thing. I could pick
>and choose.

Fred,

Point well taken. I try to do both. I want my students to know the
grand and the gritty. Some students can't see the grand because they
are worried about the gritty. Some students only see grand and get
grit in their eyes. Some students are grittily grand. (I am making
this a new philosophy "Grand Grit").

I was too specific with my earlier comments because I am working with
students who have not taught in a classroom situation until this
class. No matter what wonderful philosophies I introduce them to,
most are anxious about what's going to happen when they are in front
of 22 3rd graders (and I guess they think the grand won't help them).

Jeff

Respond to this message.