Re: Help!mural project gr5/6

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ronald F Bennett (rbennett)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:25:08 -0500

Respond to this message.

W.NEWLAND wrote:

> Greetings from Canada,
> My grade 5/6 art class has been asked by the school to create a mural for
> the school cafeteria. There are 15 children in this class. We are very
> excited about this project. I have a budget of $50. Any suggestions on
> materials? Any experience to relate. Thanks. Janette Haggar

Dear Janette,

Why no do a tile mural. You can have the students paint with
underglazes on plain white bathroom tile. It doesn't matter if they
have are already glazed. We used white tiles. An underwater/sealife
mural done this way is always sucessful. Some large tile companies or
home/do-it yourself stores will gladly donate the tiles. If you don't
have a kiln, maybe another school or local ceramic shop could help you.
There is also a new type of underglaze paint that is true to color.
Check out Sax or Nasco. I don't have the name off hand but could locate
it if you need it. Use a large piece of paper the size of the finished
mural and grid it off the size of the tiles. Have the students draw
their finished fish and seaweed on it. Transfer the lines to the tiles
and apply the underglazes then a clear on top. Fire tiles and install.

For an easier cheaper mural have the students just work on paper. Glue
the finished pieces to a large piece of plywood and coat with modge
podge. Bingo it's ready to hang.

Good Luck,
Peggy Bennett
Marrington Elementary